Wednesday, April 30, 2008

24 week appointment

I had my 24 week Doctor's appointment today. All in all, it went well.

Using the "tape measure" I'm still measuring "right" for 24 weeks. So I had a talk with the Doctor about the size of this baby! :) I explained that my sister had two 10 lb. 7 oz. boys (on her due date) and that David weighed 9 lbs. 9 oz. and I was also over 9 lbs. I politely explained we've NEVER had a baby under 8 lbs...ANY WHERE in the family! He was none to thrilled with that news! 

So, we have a plan now. The Doctor explained to me that when you have a BIG baby you run the risk of the baby getting "stuck" on the way out. He explained the possible permanent physical implications of trying to give birth "naturally." Basically, we discussed that if the baby is huge...ie over 10 lbs, a C-Section will be necessary. Technology is lacking (at best) when it comes to determining the size of a baby in utero. However, we have to deal with what we've got and "lacking" is all we have.

Soooo...he explained to me that he would like to do a sonogram 4 weeks before my due date. (My sister has decided she want's it to be a week and 1/2 later than that, so that's what I'll go with because I trust her experience more than anyone else! She's my "boss" here!) If the sonogram leads us to believe that our little boy is headed toward 10 lbs, then the Doctor wants to go ahead and induce me then. He said "Yes, we do cause stress and increase the chance of a C-Section with an induction...however, if we leave the baby in there and let him grow to 10 lbs, then we have a 100% guarantee of a C-section." So...we're looking at the lesser of 2 evils when we're talking induction here. I really HATE the idea of having to have a C-Section, but I have always known that is a risk I naturally run just because our babies are SO huge!

I think that's about it...oh, and I talked with him about he Braxton-Hicks contractions I've been having (daily...yesterday I was up to 3 an hour) and he did do an exam and said everything is still as it should be at this time. He said the contractions are nothing to worry about as long as they are not increasing in frequency/intensity. They are certainly not painful at this point...just disconcerting. However, since the Doctor said there isn't anything to worry about...I won't worry! :)

That's all for my little update! Thanks for reading! Have a lovely day!

Oh...and don't forget to put your 2 cents in on our baby game! We've really enjoyed looking at all your predictions! 

No comments:

shuttle launch...or not...

We went to the beach last weekend for the shuttle launch...we failed to get the memo that the launch had been canceled at midnight the night...